Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Hermitage

I love this picture. Not sure why...


Could the sky possibly be bluer? Perfect.



Absolutely...HUGE. The Hermitage is the biggest museum I've ever been in. I wouldn't say that it was the most exciting thing I've done in Russia, but I don't regret going. The truth is that this museum was so big that each painting suddenly became just a thing on a wall. If you spent one minute for each painting or statue, you'd be in there...for a year. It was absolutely overwhelming. I did, however, enjoy walking through the building itself more than looking at the paintings.

I did get to see some pretty famous paintings though. I saw some paintings by da Vinci, Raphael, van Gogh, Monet, Renoir, and Picasso. So, that was pretty cool.

I liked the building better though. :)

Holding it all together...

Hallway of tapestries.

The library. This reminds me of "My Fair Lady."


Everywhere we went in St. Petersburg were art school kids who would sit in front of a painting and draw it onto their sketchpad. Their teacher would walk around and comment on their drawings. Kinda interesting.

A view of the outside from the inside...

This is Cupid.

Picasso. This makes me think of Mr. Potato Head in Toy Story when he switches his all his facial features and says, "Hey, look! Picasso!"

Da Vinci. Protected by glass.

This makes me think of Beauty and the Beast. I've seen too many Disney movies, I think.

The bust room (one of the many).

View of the Neva...still half-frozen.


5 comments:

Sandy said...

Oh, I'm so jealous! The museum is incredible! I'm glad you got to go there--even if it wasn't the most exciting thing you've done. At least you can say you've seen a real Picaso and a real da Vinci!

Alias said...

I am very jealous as well! The Hermitage looks GOREGIOUS from the outside.I don't know what it is about buildings. But, I could honestly just walk around a city and look at beautiful buildings all day long and never get bored. I find them fascinating.

I loved the statues that "held the building up". That was cool.

I also really liked the first picture that you said you liked. I am not sure why I like it either though...it's just neat!

I find it hilarious that everything reminds you of a disney movie. haha. It probably would me too though!

I guess those art kids will grow up to be magnificent artists if they are learning to draw the most famous pieces of art in history! Pretty cool! I needed that growing up. I could be the next Picasso!!!

davidrhelms said...

Meredith, your writing and pictures have brought beauty to me from a corner of the world I probably will never get to see. And I think those paintings you saw will stay with you for a lot longer than you realize.

David

Carrie said...

Those pictures also reminded me of My Fair Lady, Toy Story, and Beauty and the Beast. Yep. But I question whether one could ever see too many Disney movies.

Charles & Amber Vincent said...

I love your comments on the art! :) Those pictures DID look like My Fair Lady, Beauty and the Beast, and Mr. Potato Head, though. That's really cool, though, that students would try and draw the art, though. I was just talking to Dr. Garside a couple weeks ago about that... apparently, it's a fairly common practice and a fairly accepted idea that to be a great artist, you must first be able to duplicate past great artists. He said he'd seen art classes where they tried to paint the Mona Lisa... and he had to try and write in French in such a way that the professor couldn't distinguish between his style and the style of a famous French author. I thought it was a fascinating idea! We kinda do it in music... but not as much in the other art forms, I guess. Anyway... that's what I thought of when I saw the picture of the boy drawing the painting.