Sunday, April 26, 2009

English Cafe and other stuff

These are my friends Elvira and Sasha. Elvira's English is not very good, but Sasha speaks English wonderfully. We're hoping to go to a pretty park somewhere outside of Moscow on Friday.

This is Kate. When I first met her, I thought she was from England. Her accent is perfectly British in every possible way, but she is from Russia. She must have an ear for languages and an amazing ability to imitate sounds. Most Russians all learn British English. So, Kate always says, "Brilliant, brilliant."


Acting out a fairy tale at English Cafe.

The view from my classroom window. The snow is gone, and you can see the pond now!

I love these windows.

I enjoyed having the apartment all to myself last night and this morning. The girls were at friends' houses (except for Katie who is on a senior trip in Turkey), and the parents were at their dacha, a summer home. (Everyone in Moscow has a dacha. Having a summer home is normal and doesn't connote prestige or wealth here.) I'm hoping to visit my Russian teacher's dacha next Saturday.

Love,
Meredith


3 comments:

Sandy said...

Ah, how nice! Looks like you are enjoying some pretty weather during your last week or so in Russia.

davidrhelms said...

I love that last photo of the apartment. If it was a painting it would be worth millions! But it's still suitable for framing.

Alias said...

I am glad you got the house to yourself! I am sure that was nice!

Was that your last English Cafe?