
This painting is on a billboard all over southwest Moscow and probably the rest of Moscow too. It's an advertisement for the Pushkin Museum's Turner exhibit, but what I don't understand is that the painting itself is by Kuzma Petrov-Vodkin, not Turner. (I had never heard of these artists before, so I had to do some research.)
I recognize the name Turner on the billboards, and I heard some of the Russians at the English Cafe talking about Turner's paintings. But I'm wondering if maybe there is a Vodkin exhibit there too? I am so confused by that...
Here are some pictures from English Cafe. I got them from a new acquaintance named Andrea, who ironically is good friends with Tim & Beth.




8 comments:
hmm, I will have to check out those artists. The two Americans... I think the one on the far left, and then the one forth from the left. Am I right? That is, if the the people in the background don't count.
I think the two americans are the one on the far left and the one third from the left.
Russians don't seem to look much different though in some ways. I can tell slight differences, but I honestly can't put my finger on what it is! Can you?
The girl on the far right looks American... only because she's the only one who clearly ISN'T touching anyone else. They don't necessarily seem to look very different, though... or maybe I'm missing it. Do they have like... slightly smaller eyes? Or... maybe their facial structure is more pronounced? I dunno. Anyway, are you gonna go to the museum and check it out? Do people go to museums frequently in Russia?
Amy! You're right! They are the only two wearing sky blue and blue jeans. Oh, we Americans are so cheerful. All the others are wearing black.
Oh, and Jess and Amber...
It IS hard to put your finger on the differences, but they look different. You know? Russians, I think, tend to have bigger eyes and thin, short, light eyelashes. Maybe it's not that their eyes are bigger, but they have this greyish thin half-circle under them...I can't really describe it.
Yeah! I guess right too! The painting (I believe titled bathing on a white horse) is one of the most famous paintings in Moscow. I thought it was housed at the Tretyakov Gallery, but I guess I'm wrong. The Tretyakov Gallery is all Russian artists and Pushkin's Gallery has art from all over the world. They are both spectacular places and well worth any admission price.
Yes, I agree. The majority of Americans, these days, are on the left.
Andrea and Natalie! I know them!
That's so exciting. Again Meredith, I can't wait to get there!!! I am looking forward to the English Cafe!
Post a Comment